Recent Titles

    5.09.2009

    The End (of the Beginning?)

    Well, instead of writing some of my last 50 or 60 pages in college (due in less than a week), I thought I'd take this chance to make a little blog post. I spent most of last night (until dawn) combing through a handful of books and articles related to the theme of everyday life, cooking, neighborhoods, politics (Lefebvre and Situationist International?), poetry, and Sufi and Christian mysticism (à la Rumi, Simone Weil, and others). It's a fascinating set of literatures that I hope I can immerse myself in further in the years ahead. It just resonates with me. However, it seems extra tricky and the stakes seem higher when you try to make a theoretical research project out of something for which the whole point is to be untheorized, everyday, common, practical, quotidian, unexplainable, and so on. Finding a way to further discuss and analyze "the practice of everyday life" in all its religious and spiritual significance might be something I have to think about a lot in the future.

    Anyways, I'm getting ready to graduate and hit the road, which means a big change in reading habits—potentially for the better, but I'll have to make some serious adjustments, either way. This blog will hopefully be set up for some remote/mobile (what's the techno-lingo these days?) posts, at least to give you the titles of what I get my hands on. Of course, I'm not sure how many books I'll be able to freight along in my panniers... maybe I should have someone mail boxes of books to different stops along the way?

    No comments: