Recent Titles

    2.24.2008

    a diverse, manic array

    Well, I have just returned from that most dangerous of places, the library. I only intended to do some homework there for a few hours, but I was soon lured into its dark recesses in search of incredibly interesting books that I can check out but will never have the time to read. Tonight, I returned with 11 such masterpieces, as follows:

    - "Joan Miro: Selected Paintings" - Smithsonian Institution (this one is mostly legit, as I'm supposed to write a poem about a piece of art for my creative writing class)
    - "Leisure and Culture" - Chris Rojek (completely unnecessary, but how could I resist a chapter entitled "The Abnormal Forms of Leisure"?)
    - "The Philosophy of Sustainable Design" - Jason F. McLennan (I'm hoping this will be one of those books that has an introduction or first chapter that explains all the issues and thus allow me to feel intelligent about something of which I know nothing)
    - "Dwellings: The House across the World" - Paul Oliver (there are a lot more possibilities than just the suburbs)
    - "Diagrams: A Visual Survey of Graphs, Maps, Charts, and Diagrams for the Graphic Designer" - Arthur Lockwood (these are bizarre, hilarious, interesting, profound, quirky, etc. etc.; there are so many ways to convey information and to tell stories)

    four books in preparation for the independent publishing house John and I are going to start while in York, don't you know it:
    - "Simple Printmaking with Childern" - Daniels/Turner (okay, starting off modestly)
    - "Exploring Printmaking for Young People" - Daniels/Turner (working our way up)
    - "Hand Printmaking" - Hargreaves
    - "The Alternative Printing Handbook" - Chris Treweek and Jonathan Zeitlyn with the Islington Bus Co.

    I guess I'd better get reading...

    No comments: